Nicole's Chicken Marsala
Serving Size: 8 People
Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
- 2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Butterfly each chicken breast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tpsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups crimini mushrooms sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, sliced thin
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 and 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup cream or dairy -free unsweetened cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese for garnish (Optional)
- 1/2 cup finely shopped parsley for garnish
1. Wash chicken with cold water, then pay dry with a paper towel.
2. Place chicken breast in a bowl with flour, black pepper, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and flour. Mix well and shake off excess flour.
3. Heat a large sauté pan with 3 tbsp avocado oil on medium heat for 2 minutes. Then place chicken pieces in oil. Sauté for 3 minutes on each side (Chicken is 75% cooked through at this point). Place on a platter and set aside.
4. Using the same sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil on medium heat for 2 minutes. Then add sliced red onions to pan. Sauté for 10 minutes until golden. Then set onions aside.
5. Repeat step 4, for mushrooms. Make sure not to continuously stir mushrooms, it will create a lot of excess liquid.
6. Using the same sauté pan, add marsala wine and allow it to reduce to half on medium heat. Then add vegetable stalk and allow mixture to reduce by half. Take 1/2 cup of wine and vegetable stock mixture and place in a cup and mix well with 3 tbsp flour. Then add the flour wine mixture back to the sauté pan and mix well. Then add chopped garlic, balsamic vinegar, mushrooms, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and onions. Allow mixture to cook down on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then add cream or dairy free cream to mixture. Finally add chicken peices and place thyme sprigs on on top, cover sauté pan. Allow chicken to cook for 15 minutes on low heat. When ready to serve remove thyme sprigs! Sprinkle chopped parsley on top when ready to serve with shaved parmesan (optional). Enjoy!!